When kitting out your garage-gym, there is so much things to get and it quickly adds up. You have to be smart and think about what you need to get and what you actually are going to use. The best tip is to only get the weights and bars you use and add to the garage as you go.
My latest investment is 2x Kettlebells. Reason I got it is because its plain fun. Its a great worm-up, better the running and it will build your core-strength without thinking about it. Endurance and Strength in the same package.
There is a few versions and my thoughts about it is; Don’t get the cheapest one but you won’t need the competition unless you are competing.
Option 1: The serious beginner
1. The first on on the list is pretty straight forward. You probably already seen it and it works great. Its made out of iron and there is nothing more to it. Upside is that it will last you a life-time, hands down but speaking of hands, the surface on the handle is a bit rugged and during many reps it can tear your hands.
Option 2: The luxury semi-pro
2. The second is a more developed version of the first. The body is enclosed in rubber which means it will be a bit easier on the floor if your inside. Also it will last a bit longer if you throw it on the concrete floor. The biggest advantage is the chrome handle which will be a whole lot easier on your hands. Its thick enough to develop your grip-strength towards competition-size but so will the previous on too.
Option 3: The all-in Pro
3. The third option is the competition option. This is the shape and no matter the weight its the same size. I do prefer the previous shapes since they are easier on the upper arm but the handle is chrome and the body is bigger. Good thing is that you easier step up in weight without having to adjust to the size. If you have any of the other versions, you can get coloured tape and mark your weight to get use to the color-system. Remember, if you talk like a duck, walk like a duck… people will think you’re a Duck.
The official colors is:
- 8 kg / 17.6 lbs – Pink
- 12 kg / 26.4 lbs – Blue
- 16 kg / 35.2 lbs – Yellow
- 20 kg / 44.0 lbs – Purple
- 24 kg / 52.8 lbs – Green
- 28 kg / 61.6 lbs – Orange
- 32 kg / 70.4 lbs – Red
- 36 kg / 79.2 lbs – Grey
- 40 kg / 88.0 lbs – White
- 44 kg / 96.8 lbs – Silver
- 48 kg / 105.6 lbs – Black
The best price I could find together with quality and good service was Nordic Fighter, I would recommend them any time of the day. Since I’m not a pro but do care about quality and great products, I went with the second option. The last 3 wods has been lots of swings and there really hold up.
If you’re based elsewhere in Europe and want quality non-competition kettlebells, and some cool clothing. Check out Rogue Europe but remember that Nordic Fighter also have good shipping deals…